Sunday, September 28, 2008

hurricane ike

I never thought that living in Ohio we would get hit by a hurricane, miss school due it, and have hundreds of thousands of people without electricity. I guess there's a first for everything! We were incredibly lucky and our power only flickered on and off for a few minutes. The. end. Our satelite wasn't effected, nor our phones, nor our internet. Trust me when I say that we know how blessed we were. We had several teachers in my building who had no electric for 9-10 DAYS!

I don't think we even realized, until it was over, how bad it was. Daniel was out working on the fence during the first half. I decided (right in the middle) I would head into school to get a few things done... in case it got worse later and I couldn't make it in. It occurred to me as I pulled into the parking lot that I may have made a bad choice. I made it into the building, found a door from our courtyard blown open, and leaves all over the hallway. As I tried to call my principal to let her know, I realized there was no phone, and then figured out the electricity. At that point I decided I should probably just go home... only I couldn't get home. It seemed that every road was closed due to trees down, power lines in the road, and even stop lights in the street. We'll call this a lesson learned. The next time we have a hurricane in Ohio... you'll find me at home with plenty of water, batteries, and candles... just in case.

The trees in our yard and neighborhood did take quite a beating and we spent a good deal of time having it cleaned up. We hired a pretty good cleaning crew and they had it done in no time.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment